Sunday, March 07, 2010

Born Un-Special

“To really understand another culture, to really understand a country, you have to be born there.”

This kinda talk really bites my ass. I've lived in Turkey now for 15 years and I get it. I didn't use to get it, but now I do. Nearly all of it. And next year, it'll be nearly-nearly all of it. You don't have to be 'born' anything. Human is human is human. We all think about the same shit, and say the same shit. When I didn't speak or understand Turkish very well, I would wander about thinking "Ooh everyone is saying very deep clever stuff, and I'm a doofus because I can't understand it." Then when I could understand, I understood that they had just been talking about tits the whole time.

Of course they'd made the same mistake with me, except I talk a lot more with my hands, so they twigged I was just talking about tits much sooner.

There is no such thing as a concept that cannot be transmitted cross-culture. (Arrgh, double-negative).

Same with the whole "It's an art, you’ve either got it or you haven’t.” schtick. It's not. Even art isn't an art.

There is no behaviour or technique that cannot be replicated by another. (Arrgh, another double negative).

The position of "X is an art - you've either got it or you haven't" is damaging I feel because of the implications. Basically - it implies not only that it's an either/or situation with no middle ground, but also - if you haven't got it - you never will. A - "Hey you, you ain't no Mozart, so drop the violin, back away. Abandon all hope n00b" - kinda feel. It imposes a static view of individuality upon humanity by making the property of 'having it' or 'not having it' innate and immutable.

When you expand this view you get a rather bleak picture of the world.

...Continued...

5 comments:

McGuire said...

Hi Tab, something reassuring about the essay that makes sense in Glasgow in this, deceptively beautiful, April sun. I've written three prose/poems on the idea of education and inabillity. The idea that one is not born with abillity, so much as one has to 'learn' their ability.

Some a better genetic heritage, some parents see the value in areas that other parents wouldn't think to support. But, the reality remains, if you want to succeed you practice, and you don't practice to succeed, you practice because you want to master something - philosphy, maths, mechanics, Japanese cookery.

So much self-defeating thought patterns out their in peoples conscious minds. 'I'm good at English but bad at maths.' or 'It's not for me.' 'I've never been much of a Sciencist.' Rightly, we compartmentalise throughout our lives that which we excell in, over that which we fail in, but so many refuse to improve were they lack, and polish were they succeed. Curious bias.

Here's to good practice and courage.

I have nothing to declare but my own genome. - McGuire.

Tab said...

Cheers for stopping by Collin, and a great comment too, but don't forget, 99% of our genome is chimp-based, so maybe all of us are are more Chumpo than Mumpo..?

Anonymous said...

Malzemeler:
400 gr. nişasta
250 gr. tereyağı (oda sıcaklığında yumuşamış)
2 adet yumurta
1 su bardağı un
1 paket kabartma tozu
1 paket vanilya
1 su bardağı pudra şekeri
Üzeri için: Kakao
Yapılışı:
Bir kapta tereyağı, yumurta ve şekeri karıştırılır. Nişasta, un ve kabartma tozu eklenerek, ele yapışmayan bir hamur elde edilir. Ele yapışıyorsa biraz daha un eklenebilir. Yuvarlanıp tepsiye dizilir. Temiz ve kuru bir soda şişesinin ağzı önce kakaoya daha sonra kurabiyelerin ortasına batırılır. Önceden ısıtılmış 160 derecede beyaz kalacak şekilde pişirilir.

Can I get a translation? Please Tab?

Tab said...

Hi,

Okay - quick translation:

ingredients:

400g starch
250g butter
2 eggs
1 cup of flour
1 packet baking powder
1 packet of vanilla
1 cup of powdered sugar
chocolate sauce for topping.

recipe:

mix the butter, eggs and sugar in a pan. Add the starch, flour and the baking powder. Kneed this mess into dough - adding more flour if necessary. Shape them into round buscuits and stick them on a baking tray. Decorate the tops with the choc sauce, or inject the sauce into the middle of the buscuit. Cook at 160 degrees in a pre-warmed oven, they should still be a creamy white colour when cooked - ie don't cook the absolute shit out of them.

As I remember they should come out pretty crumbley in the mouth, and very sweet. Yummy.

Tab said...

ps: by "starch" I think they mean cornflour, or cornstarch.