Monday, January 31, 2011

Decisions Decisions.

A quick and dirty neurophys-summary on high-function decision making:

The prefrontal cortex is the outermost layer of the frontal lobes - the bit just above and behind your eyes - the bit that most noticibly separates us from neanderthals and chimps. When the docs started chopping bits out of it back in the 50's in the name of psychiatric science - to calm down 'neurotic women' - side-effects varied between death, and catatonia in rare cases and an almost universal severe impairment of short-term memory and an inability to control impulses.

Put into simple terms, people with prefrontal problems become 'external stimulus biased' ie, you give them a comb, and whatever you might tell them to do with it, they'll comb their hair. Show them food, they'll imediately begin to eat. Make them angry - they fight. They see, they do, without intermediary deliberation. They're great at parties.

The PFL works in three ways.

2 comments:

McGuire said...

Tab - A Fine essay on decision making and neurology.

Have you read Oliver Sacks? Sure you've heard of him. If you haven't already, I suggest you read some of his books. Great insight into the work of the mind via neurological deficits or excesses or just inbetween.

I have prefrontal problems. Ha! What a thought. I should put that on my C.V. I was diagnosed, in high school, as dyslexic, mildly at that (and I don't take these diagnoses too seriously) and I have a problem with short-term memory. Yet, my long-term memory compensates. This means I remember a lot of trivial details many years after an event that many would have forgotten. Also, I see that I 'react' to my emotions all too easily. I'm great fun at a party too.

I find mindfulness mediation is helping my calm those reactions down. Mindfulness may well be a way to calm down your neurological hardware, to temper it, to strengthen the 'informed will' - to bring it back into focus.

Enjoy as usual.

p.s. I managed to post my comment in the wrong essay. A prefrontal oversight on my part? Perhaps.

Tab said...

Cheers my friend, I think your pre-frontal works just fine.

Tab.